In anticipation of this weather system, here are some tips on how to be prepared:
- Secure garbage bins, outdoor furniture or anything that could become airborne and cause damage.
- Clean out gutters, storm drains, etc. (keeping drains clear of trash, leaves and branches) so rainwaters can easily flow, reducing possible flooding and ponding.
- Rake leaves to cut down on flying debris and prevent clogged storm drains.
- Expect downed trees and power outages. Stay away from downed power lines.
- Stay at home as severe weather arrives.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries, a battery-powered and / or hand-crank radio in case power goes out.
- Ensure mobile phones are fully charged.
- Have a communications plan. Make sure all family members understand who to call if you get separated.
- Have essential items on hand to last at least three days — non-perishable food, water, first-aid kit, medication. Have enough for each person in your household.
In the event of power outages, treat all electricity and downed power lines as live.
Horizon Energy Group encourages customers to report any faults to their retailers and remain in touch with retailers for updates.
Visit http://getthru.govt.nz/ - this website will show you how to get ready, so you'll get through.